Friday, October 7, 2011

Week Six: Tedious But Worth It!

The mentor teacher interview this week really helped reassure me and make me think about field placement this week. I think that now I have a better sense of the class and maybe a better sense of how to approach teaching my lessons. If nothing else, I know that the door is open and I can continue to ask questions of him in the future. I had requested permission from my cooperating teacher to record the interview and realized as I was asking questions that this was very much practice for my I.S.. Then when it came time to work on my reflection and submit my questions I decided to take it a step further and use this assignment as an opportunity to practice my interviewing and transcription skills. Just to provide some background, I am conducting an oral history I.S. in which I look at the changes in veteran perspectives through specific, personal "turning points" in the conflict.

Other than that, my field placement has been very similar to field the past couple of weeks. I would like to be more involved in the classroom, and am going to take this up with my cooperating teacher again next week. In the meantime, however, I'm slowly getting to know my students and was particularly optimistic when I got one student to open up to me. She is one of the students that often doesn't participate in class and is generally quiet and unengaged. She's also usually one of the first students in the classroom every morning, so I have had a chance to talk to her and get her engaged in the mornings. Lately she seems to be more vocal in class and more engaged and enthusiastic!

1 comment:

  1. It's so great that you are able to engage the students who seem uninterested. Even being able to pinpoint the students who are not as involved in the classroom is a great accomplishment! A lot of teachers are so busy and focused on their classroom as a whole that they do not recognize individuals. Having the ability to engage all of the students can really make a difference in the overall classroom environment. Regarding getting more involved in the classroom, you could ask your cooperating teacher if he/she would allow you to do simple things like take attendance or grade homework. This could be a way for you to get to know the students more and the different levels they are at. Also, you will feel more comfortable when teaching your formal lessons! Be persistent with your cooperating teacher until he/she lets you do something!

    ReplyDelete