Sunday, February 26, 2012

Week Six: Diving In Head First...Yikes!

So far my field experience has been fantastic. I've been engaged in activities with students EVERY day, and my coteacher definitely isn't afraid to hand over the classroom and let me dive in headfirst (twice already). Most recently I've been working with the students who are behind on their work and had an alternate activity to work on while the rest of the class worked on a symposium activity having to do with the crusades. This has given me a fabulous opportunity to observe classroom dynamics, especially on Tuesdays and Thursdays when I can compare her second, fourth, AND fifth period classes.

On Tuesdays and Thursdays I've been staying at the middle school during third period when my cooperating teacher has a planning period, and it has been a wonderful opportunity to familiarize myself with the school (she gave me a tour and the principal gave me a t-shirt), meet other teachers, watch some student presentations in other classes, learn to use the SmartBoard, and grade student papers! Not to mention, it's a great time to bounce ideas off of each other and discuss how the classes went and how we can modify them for the upcoming periods.

I love that she creates a positive, student classroom environment and the ease with which I have transitioned into a position of authority in the classroom. I appreciate the freedom she gives me in terms of how I approach activities, classroom management, etc. Even when she turns the classroom over to me she reminds me that I don't have to do it exactly the way she did and to feel free to do whatever's comfortable to me. The fact that I have been so involved in the classroom makes it far easier to jump in and teach a lesson despite the nerves.

My goal throughout the remainder of my placement is to achieve the same comfort level I have working with smaller groups of students when I'm addressing the class as a whole. It's frustrating when I feel as if I've finally figured out who I want to be in the classroom and what that's going to look like and then get up there and NOT be that teacher. It's clearly just a matter of working out the nerves, but I'd really be able to cross that threshold!

3 comments:

  1. I think that's a great goal Alex! And don't worry, you aren't the only one struggling with that. I think all of us have an idea in our head of how we want to run our classrooms and how we will convey knowledge, but there are always road blocks that seem to get in the way. I think part of figuring out our identity as teachers is how we deal with these road blocks. Don't let them get you down! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's really cool that you get to stay extra throughout the day because that familiarizes you much more with the actual teaching experience. Student teaching is the next step for us so this experience will probably be really great in preparing you for that.

    We all have those moments where we lack confidence, trust me I have them all the time. But I agree it's just something that you have to work through and even if you don't necessarily have it at times, fake it! Because the students won't know and eventually it will come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome that you have been able to stay after 2nd period. It sounds like you're having a ton of fun. I honestly think that with time and more small-group experience you will feel extremely comfortable addressing the whole class. It looks like you get to this place rather quickly, so, who knows? At this rate it seems like that will be this week!

    ReplyDelete