Friday, February 3, 2012

Week Three: A Kamikaze Personality


The kamikaze video we watched in class this week (above) was both hilarious and inspirational...and certainly left me saying "I want to be in THAT classroom!" However, along with that statement came the realization that as much as I would love to be THAT teacher, it just isn't me. As effective as that demonstration was for one particular teacher, it isn't something that I could pull off in my classroom simply because it doesn't fit my personality. Similarly, I'm not the teacher smashing a cellphone mockup with a sledgehammer or doing the dance of the parallel lines either.

The key is, of course, to modify these basic ideas to reflect who we are as educators. I say "as educators" because, while who we are doesn't change when we enter a classroom, we emphasize different aspects of our personalities when we are in the classroom than we might outside the classroom. The question is, how do we begin to explore humor in the classroom? The style that works for me isn't necessarily the kind of humor that I can utilize myself, so how do you make the transition from knowing what doesn't work for you in the classroom, to knowing who you ARE in the classroom?

Random Fact: The word kamikaze translates to "God wind" or "Divine wind."

2 comments:

  1. I think it's really important to be comfortable in the classroom so that your students understand that you are human and have a sense of humor! The more you can relate your humor with the humor of your students then I think that the lines of communication will be opened up even more because they feel as though you can understand them in certain ways. Of course we can't completely let loose and be ourselves in the classroom but we should definitely take time to have a little bit of fun everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a starting point and way to brainstorm ideas on how to incorporate humor, getting to know your students will be invaluable. Each class will have its own 'class clown' with their own style and the different personalities within each class will create VERY different dynamics from one period to the next. Observing what the class already finds entertaining can give you clues on how to go about incorporating your own humor. Plus, then you know who to call on for a laugh when you need a different style in the room! Finding out how you can incorporate humor IS part of finding out who you are in the classroom. I don't think you can separate them. However, if the humorous part of your personality emerges as a natural part of you building rapport with your students, you'll discover a style of humor that works for them and you.

    ReplyDelete